Welcome to Day 2 of my 7 day Organising Challenge. If you missed Day 1, don’t worry. It’s definitely not too late to join the party. It will only take you about 2 minutes to catch up here.
If you’re up to date, well done! You’ll be happy to hear Day 2 is another pretty quick and easy step but one that is very often overlooked. You may want to grab a pen & paper for this one…
Create a vision for the space. Now that you’ve chosen the area you’ll declutter & organise this week, it’s time to paint a picture of how you’d ideally like the space to look and function. This may be a quick and easy process if it’s just a drawer (e.g. neat, opens and closes easily and quick to find what I need) or a bit more challenging if it’s a whole room with multiple zones to consider. Either way, the questions below may help you to clarify what your organising objective is.
If a question isn’t relevant for your zone, just skip it.
- What are your biggest frustrations about the area? Why did you choose it for this challenge?
- What works well about the current set up?
- What, if anything, have you already tried in terms of organising it? Why do you think it didn’t work/last?
- Does the area have a clear purpose?
- How would you ideally like the area to feel when you first see it and work when you’re using it?
- Does the area have any safety considerations you need to consider?
- Does anything need fixing or altering to make the space more user friendly?
- Who needs to access items here and possibly help maintain it moving forward?
- Are you trying to store more stuff here than you have space for?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you should have a clearer picture of what the space needs to be able to do for you once it’s properly organised and where the best place to start might be, particularly if you’ve chosen a large room with various zones.
You should also have a better idea of how long it might take you to whip it back into shape, so the final step for today is to block out some time in your diary over the next two days for the fun stuff… decluttering & organising it! The next two days are probably where you’ll need the most time for our week-long challenge. Oh and don’t lose your answers to the questions you’ve answered today as we’ll refer back to them over the coming days.
If you’re having trouble with this step, feel free to message me for some advice or post your question on my Facebook Page and I’ll be happy to help you out.
Tomorrow, we declutter. Make sure you have some basic organising tools handy to deal with sorting, temporarily storing, donating and disposing of items, such as tubs, containers, garbage bags, boxes or anything else you’ll require for the particular zone you’re working on. Please don’t go out and buy anything at this stage… you should be able to use whatever you already have around the house for now. Think washing baskets, hampers, buckets, baskets, old cardboard boxes, reusable shopping bags and the like.
Well done on completing Day 2. See you tomorrow!